Guide clients through the process of building great projects, advocating for their needs and keeping an eye out for big opportunities.
The Account Director works across projects and departments to help clients succeed. You’ll form close relationships with client leaders and work to understand their business, their unique challenges and opportunities. You’ll help them better understand market trends, best practices, and areas where we could help them not just achieve project success, but larger business success as well. Our clients trust us because we tell them hard truths, and point them in directions they had not considered before. This role is about being the client’s trusted advisor, and helping our design and engineering practice experts understand the larger business context.
This role will be responsible for ensuring client success and growing Upstatement’s influence within projects. The goal is to create powerful work that moves the needle for our clients, while supporting them with the high-touch hospitality and sharp advice our studio is known for.
You’ll work collaboratively with designers, engineers, PMs and your business development colleagues to analyze work opportunities, win business, and develop lasting relationships. Combining dexterity and creativity, the Accounts Director delivers a consultative approach to nurturing client relationships — ones that net robust, long-term partnerships.
Last but not least: People who succeed here are empathetic teammates who are candid, kind, caring, and embody our core values. We believe that diverse, inclusive teams make the most impactful work. Upstatement is deeply invested in ensuring that we have a supportive, growth-oriented environment that works for everyone.
- Provide consistent communication with client prospects
- Identify opportunities for clients and help them design projects for success
- Analyze project economics and client budgets
- Own, adapt and improve our processes for developing business
- Act as a trusted client advisor throughout the client journey in an effort to yield repeat, long-lasting partnerships
- Identify and nurture partnership opportunities all the way from cold email to project extension and follow on work
- Maintain and update marketing & sales software (HubSpot, Parallax, etc.) and identify areas of opportunity among existing clients and lapsed prospects
- Identify and leverage external partner resources as appropriate and beneficial to both client and Upstatement
- Understand and incorporate business metrics into new project planning
- Comfortable meeting new people and learning about their passions and problems. People love talking to you!
- Excited to help guide clients through our unique and collaborative project lifecycle
- An adept written communicator, critical reader and analyzer of documents
- Interested in the world of digital product design and development, design, tech, humans and humanity
- Solutions-oriented, consultative, and have strong presentation and persuasion skills
- Able to work autonomously with minimal management/direction, but also highly collaborative when needed
- Competitive salary
- Health, dental, and vision insurance, and supplementary health benefits (EAP, FSA)
- A company-matched retirement plan
- A generous, flexible vacation policy
- 3 weeks vacation, plus company-wide closure between Christmas & New Year’s Day
- Hubs in New York City and Boston as well as a fully distributed workforce
- Yearly professional development stipend, plus internal events, workshops, and seminars (like our Friday Talks)
- Increased work flexibility for parents and caretakers
- Monthly mental health days
- Tele-mental health services
- Virtual social events (cool ones, we promise)
Phone screen, video interview with hiring manager, video panel interview with a cross-section of the company.
Interested in applying?
Send a resume, cover letter and and anything else that helps us understand what makes you awesome, to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Accounts Director” in the subject line.
We don’t get too attached to titles here, so you might also see the same role listed as Accounts Manager or Director of Client Partnerships. Whatever you call yourself on LinkedIn, you’re applying for a role on Upstatement’s Business Development team.
FWIW: Worries of “what if I’m not the perfect fit” can sometimes hold us back from applying to jobs. We want to let you in on a secret: there is no perfect candidate. Sure, we’re interested in resumes, but also the narrative beyond that resume—unique backgrounds, experiences, points of views, etc. As such—there is no set of boxes to tick in order to be a good candidate. If this is a job that excites you, we hope you’ll apply.