At Upstatement, our business development practice seeks to establish true partnerships with prospective, current, and past clients that can last over the course of several projects and years together. In this role, you’ll play an integral part in shaping and maintaining our new business pipeline and ensuring that our processes for outreach, proposals, and follow up are running smoothly. You’ll work collaboratively with designers, engineers, producers and your business development colleagues to analyze incoming work, win new business, and develop lasting relationships with clients.
Last but not least: People who succeed here are empathetic teammates who are candid, kind, caring, and embody our core values. We believe that diverse, inclusive teams make the most impactful work. Upstatement is deeply invested in ensuring that we have a supportive, growth-oriented environment that works for everyone.
- Be the front line for our studio, meeting new clients and learning about their businesses and organizations
- Provide consistent communication with client prospects
- Identify opportunities for clients and help them design projects for success
- Analyze project economics and client budgets
- Own, adapt and improve our processes for developing business
- Maintain and update marketing & sales software (HubSpot, Parallax, etc.) and identify areas of opportunity among existing clients and lapsed prospects
- Manage communications for the new business team and schedule qualifying meetings with prospective clients
- Organizing proposal and pitch logistics
- Research potential clients
- Providing answers to standard RFI/RFP questions
- Compiling industry news updates
- Work with Operations team to get clients onboarded
- Manage extensions and follow on work
- Manage our feedback/follow up and send client surveys
- Comfortable meeting new people and learning about their passions and problems. People love talking to you!
- Excited to help guide clients through our unique and collaborative project lifecycle
- An adept written communicator, critical reader and analyzer of documents
- Interested in the world of digital product design and development, design, tech, humans and humanity
- Solutions-oriented, consultative, and have strong presentation and persuasion skills
- Able to work autonomously with minimal management/direction, but also highly collaborative when needed
- Competitive salary
- Health, dental, and vision insurance, and supplementary health benefits (FSA, IVF coverage, TalkSpace)
- A company-matched retirement plan
- Home office setup stipend
- Short/long term disability insurance
- ClassPass fitness membership
- One Medical membership
- 3 weeks vacation, plus company-wide closure between Christmas & New Year’s Day
- Hubs in New York City and Boston as well as a fully distributed workforce
- Yearly professional development stipend, plus internal events, workshops, and seminars (like our Friday Talks)
Phone screen, video interview with hiring manager, video panel interview with a cross-section of the company.
Interested in applying?
Send a resume, cover letter and a link to your portfolio (and anything else that helps us understand what makes you awesome) to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Accounts Manager” in the subject line.
We don’t get too attached to titles here, so you might also see the same role listed as Business Development Associate, or Accounts Specialist. Whatever you call yourself on LinkedIn, you’re applying for a role on Upstatement’s Business Development team.
FWIW: Worries of “what if I’m not the perfect fit” can sometimes hold us back from applying to jobs. We want to let you in on a secret: there is no perfect candidate. Sure, we’re interested in resumes, but also the narrative beyond that resume—unique backgrounds, experiences, points of views, etc. As such—there is no set of boxes to tick in order to be a good candidate. If this is a job that excites you, we hope you’ll apply.