A budding digital-focused designer who wants to advance their skills with the support of a senior design team.
Our next Design Apprenticeship opening starts in June 2021. This position is a 6-month full-time commitment. It’s enough time for you to get comfortable and make a meaningful impact.
- Contribute design to project teams. Extend and test a design system for a website or app. Question and improve aspects of the design. Communicate your thoughts and progress along the way.
- Showcase Upstatement work. Partner with creative directors across the company to develop marketing assets for Upstatement’s best projects. Learn what makes these projects successful.
- Dial the details. Make the work look beautiful on every device. Refine the components of the design system.
- Develop your coding skills. We’ll help you get started with Git or help you take your existing skills to the next level.
- Communicate clearly. Share daily status with teams. Deliver focused presentations to clients. Communicate your workload and availability with multiple teams. Use writing, speaking, and interpersonal skills to build strong relationships.
- Contribute to an inclusive culture where people feel productive, creative, and safe. Be unafraid to name problems and move toward solutions with optimism, clarity, and calm.
- Experience designing apps or websites
- Strong visual designer
- Highly motivated and self-directed
- Know how to do some design research
- Comfortable in an ambiguous work environment
- Interested in learning HTML & CSS
- You know an uncanny number of Figma quick keys
- Fluent in web and mobile interface patterns
- Experience with motion or coding
- You’re a big typography or art direction nerd
- Competitive hourly wage
- Your own professional development budget
- Mentorship for the skills you want to learn
- Employee assistance program for wellness and mental health
- Health benefits not included
- Tele-mental health services
- Increased work flexibility for parents and caretakers
- Virtual social events (cool ones, we promise)
Is there a job at the end?
Apprenticeships at Upstatement are not a path to full-time roles. Some folks have made the transition from temporary to full-time over the years, but it depends on our current hiring outlook.
Interested in Applying?
Send a resume and portfolio with your cover letter in an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
FWIW: Worries of “what if I’m not the perfect fit” can sometimes hold us back from applying to jobs. We want to let you in on a secret: there is no perfect candidate. Sure, we’re interested in resumes, but also the narrative beyond that resume—unique backgrounds, experiences, points of views, etc. As such—there is no set of boxes to tick in order to be a good candidate. If this is a job that excites you, we hope you’ll apply.