Strategize, organize, and collaborate with our team. We're looking for a confident project lead familiar with guiding digital projects from idea through launch.
People who succeed in this role are empathetic teammates, proactive thinkers, and excellent communicators. They are candid and kind leaders who embody Upstatement’s core values.
- Own project setup by getting the right processes up and running, coaching clients who are new to agile, and onboarding new team members
- Own, adapt, and improve the processes we use to deliver digital work
- Strategize and collaborate with other project leadership like the Product Manager, Creative Director, or Tech Lead
- Identify and drive forward opportunities for project extensions or growing client relationships
- Contract or full-time
The Project Manager will lead 1-3 projects at a time.
- Shape the work. Strategize about how to accomplish our clients’ goals and work with cross-functional teams to make it happen. Balance the limitations and opportunities to create the best possible work.
- Be the heartbeat of our projects. Ensure that everyone is at their best and knows what they need to do to keep the project humming. Think through problems, prioritize work, anticipate risks, and clarify everything. You’ll shape an environment where smart people can do amazing work and reach their full potential.
- Provide an amazing client experience. We believe every member of the team is responsible for communicating openly and kindly with clients. You’ll lead this effort: encouraging direct conversations between experts, clarifying details, and making tough decisions feel easy.
- Watch for risks and opportunities. You’ll keep a steady eye on the long-term schedule, the big strategic ideas, and what might be coming down the road — but you’ll also be zooming into the tiny details that affect the day-to-day of making great digital products.
- Organize all the things. Meetings, tasks, agendas, schedules, notes, and tools can easily get scattered or outdated. You’ll create and track just enough process to make our work clear and achievable.
More About You
- You’re autonomous. You see problems and get to work solving them. You’re comfortable trying things you’ve never tried before. You take responsibility for every part of the success of the work you do.
- You’re reliable and detail-oriented. You’re a process nerd. You love systems. You pay attention to specifics and don’t let details slip through the cracks. You can manage multiple projects simultaneously and prioritize effectively between them.
- You have experience and opinions about how to tackle creative work. Maybe you’re a certified Scrum master or a master design sprint facilitator. No matter your background, you’re not afraid to adapt your process or try something new when the situation demands it.
- You’re empathetic and comfortable addressing conflict. You challenge directly and care personally. You know how to frame a difficult situation to avoid misunderstanding, name problems, and move toward a solution. You bring optimism, clarity, and calm.
- You love great digital work. Perhaps you’ve done some engineering, branding, or design work yourself. You’re interested in performance and typography. You understand the broad strokes of code, allowing you to translate complex technical language into simple terms.
- You’re a great communicator. You can answer difficult questions on the fly and summarize complex conversations in a few clear sentences. You can help others express their own thinking.
- Competitive salary
- Health, dental, and vision insurance, and supplementary health benefits (EAP, FSA)
- A company-matched retirement plan
- A generous, flexible vacation policy
- 3 weeks vacation, plus company-wide closure between Christmas & New Year’s Day
- Hubs in New York City and Boston as well as a fully distributed workforce
- Yearly professional development stipend, plus internal events, workshops, and seminars (like our Friday Talks)
- Increased work flexibility for parents and caretakers
- Monthly mental health days
- Tele-mental health services
- Virtual social events (cool ones, we promise)
Phone screen, video interview with hiring manager, video panel interview with a cross-section of the company.
Interested in applying?
Send a resume, cover letter, and anything else that helps us understand what makes you awesome to email@example.com with “Project Manager” in the subject line. Please include whether you are interested in a contract and/or full-time position.
We don’t get too attached to titles here, so you might also see the same role listed as Account Manager or Senior Project Manager. Whatever you call yourself on LinkedIn, you’re applying for a role that matches the description above and works on a team of Project Management professionals with various levels of seniority!
FWIW: Worries of “what if I’m not the perfect fit” can sometimes hold us back from applying to jobs. We want to let you in on a secret: there is no perfect candidate. Sure, we’re interested in resumes, but also the narrative beyond that resume—unique backgrounds, experiences, points of views, etc. As such—there is no set of boxes to tick in order to be a good candidate. If this is a job that excites you, we hope you’ll apply.