As Technology Director, you’ll oversee the individual growth, productivity, and technical capabilities of Upstatement’s engineering department. You will be both mentor and champion of professional and technical development to a talented and pragmatic group of engineers, while proactively contributing to the strategic direction of engineering at Upstatement: by contributing to projects and overseeing the quality of our engineering deliverables.
- Making. Act as Technical Director and/or Lead Engineer where appropriate on client projects
- Mentorship. Help our engineers realize their full potential by passing on your engineering craftsmanship through frequent check-ins
- Career Coaching. Work closely with your reports to establish and track career development targets through bi-annual performance reviews
- Resourcing. Work with producers and Design Managers to ensure engineers are properly allocated
- Recruitment & Retention. Work closely with the Head of Engineering to maintain a healthy recruitment pipeline
- Continuous Learning. Inform, reinforce and evolve the discipline of engineering at Upstatement through shares and other channels
- Professional experience in a similar role
- Lead by example: fosters a culture of creativity, forward thinking, open dialogue, and fun
- Fluency with one or more server-side languages
- Familiarity with popular frameworks and CMSs
- Modern client-side skills
- Intimate knowledge of web performance and security
- Working knowledge of common testing tools and methodologies
- Familiarity with accessibility standards and best practices
- Working familiarity with Scrum/Agile methodologies
- A full-stack shop doing large and technically ambitious projects
- Champions of resourceful engineers and best practices
- Inspired by the bleeding edge, yet pragmatic and tool agnostic
- Open Source advocates and contributors
- Pavers of individual growth paths (for makers and managers!)
- Supporters of ambition and career development
- Competitive salary
- Health, dental, and vision insurance, and supplementary health benefits (FSA, IVF coverage, TalkSpace)
- A company-matched retirement plan
- Home office setup stipend
- Short/long term disability insurance
- ClassPass fitness membership
- One Medical membership
- 3 weeks vacation, plus company-wide closure between Christmas & New Year’s Day
- Hubs in New York City and Boston as well as a fully distributed workforce
- Yearly professional development stipend, plus internal events, workshops, and seminars (like our Friday Talks)
About the department
Check out our Engineers page to learn a bit more about the technology department, read some blog posts, and figure out what makes our engineers tick, and check out Key Values, who we’ve teamed up with to share more on our engineering ethos and guiding principles.
Interested in applying?
Send a resume, cover letter and links to your website/projects/GitHub to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Technology Director” in the subject line.
FWIW: Worries of “what if I’m not the perfect fit” can sometimes hold us back from applying to jobs. We want to let you in on a secret: there is no perfect candidate. Sure, we’re interested in resumes, but also the narrative beyond that resume—unique backgrounds, experiences, points of views, etc. As such—there is no set of boxes to tick in order to be a good candidate. If this is a job that excites you, we hope you’ll apply.