Engineers are the functional soul of our team, tasked with transforming creative concepts into production realities for our clients, ourselves, and the open source community.
Our engineers rarely specialize exclusively in one tech stack, preferring to keep an open mind and a diverse skill set in order to deliver optimal solutions for the problem at hand. Their responsibilities don’t end with code, as we believe communication, collaboration, and good judgement are as important to our work as raw programming skills. This role is a first for us, and in it you’ll provide oversight for a diverse array of complex projects where mobile is a priority.
The Lead Engineer, Mobile will have specialized knowledge and experience in iOS or Android platforms and possess a proven awareness of instructional strategies for mobile development. This position requires strong leadership and an ability to bring structure to complex problems across multiple platforms. The most successful person in this role will be one who can influence team execution across multiple platforms, and across function.
A few recent projects we missed you on:
Last but not least: People who succeed here are empathetic teammates who are candid, kind, caring, and embody our core values. We believe that diverse, inclusive teams make the most impactful work. Upstatement is deeply invested in ensuring that we have a supportive, growth-oriented environment that works for everyone.
- Deep experience in one native platform (iOS or Android)
- Willingness to learn and support web projects using technologies ranging from React to WordPress
- Write clean, well-documented, and well-tested code using the latest idioms and best practices for each language/framework
- Collaborate with Upstatement’s engineers, product and strategy thinkers, and designers to ensure we quickly ship and iterate on high-quality products
- Mentor and coach members of the team through pair-programming and code review
- Stay up to date with industry trends and advise the team on best practices to implement
- Collaborate with Business Development to identify and win new opportunities for mobile development.
Bonus Points If …
- Experience in more than one native platform/language
- Experience with cross-platform technologies such as React Native, Flutter, and NativeScript
- DevOps experience
More About You
- Code. High quality, clean, and readable front-end/back-end code developed in concert with design and delivered on time.
- Quality. Engineers are accountable for the overall quality of our production deliverables – code, infrastructure, and documentation.
- Communication. Clear and concise written and oral communication, both internally and with our clients and tech partners.
- Collaboration. We’re not just the last stop in a production pipeline; our engineers contribute critical thinking at every phase of the project life cycle.
- Research & Solution Architecture. You’ll work alongside creative directors to lead the research and selection of technical solutions to fulfill business requirements.
- Leadership. Help strengthen our team by passing on your craftsmanship through close collaboration, knowledge shares, and mentorship.
- A full-stack shop doing large and technically ambitious projects
- Champions of resourceful engineers and best practices
- Inspired by the bleeding edge, yet pragmatic and tool agnostic
- Open Source advocates and contributors
- Pavers of individual growth paths (for makers and managers!)
- Supporters of ambition and career development
- Competitive salary
- Health, dental, and vision insurance, and supplementary health benefits (FSA, IVF coverage, TalkSpace)
- A company-matched retirement plan
- Home office setup stipend
- Short/long term disability insurance
- ClassPass fitness membership
- One Medical membership
- 3 weeks vacation, plus company-wide closure between Christmas & New Year’s Day
- Hubs in New York City and Boston as well as a fully distributed workforce
- Yearly professional development stipend, plus internal events, workshops, and seminars (like our Friday Talks)
About the Department
Check out our Engineers page to learn a bit more about the technology department, read some blog posts, and figure out what makes our engineers tick, and check out Key Values, who we’ve teamed up with to share more on our engineering ethos and guiding principles.
Phone screen, video interview with hiring manager, take home project or submission of code sample, video panel interview with a cross-section of the company.
Interested in applying?
Send a resume, cover letter and a link to your portfolio (and anything else that helps us understand what makes you awesome) to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Lead Engineer, Mobile” in the subject line.
We don’t get too attached to titles here, so you might also see the same role listed as Senior Mobile Engineer, or Lead Mobile Engineer. Whatever you call yourself on LinkedIn, you’re applying for a role on Upstatement’s Engineering team.
FWIW: Worries of “what if I’m not the perfect fit” can sometimes hold us back from applying to jobs. We want to let you in on a secret: there is no perfect candidate. Sure, we’re interested in resumes, but also the narrative beyond that resume—unique backgrounds, experiences, points of views, etc. As such—there is no set of boxes to tick in order to be a good candidate. If this is a job that excites you, we hope you’ll apply.