A lead engineer at Upstatement is responsible for driving the engineering efforts of our projects and mentoring newer team members towards becoming amazing leaders in their own right.
Engineers are the functional soul of our team, tasked with transforming creative concepts into production realities for our clients, ourselves, and the open source community.
Our engineers rarely specialize exclusively in one tech stack, preferring to keep an open mind and a diverse skill set in order to deliver optimal solutions for the problem at hand. Their responsibilities don’t end with code, as we believe communication, collaboration, and good judgement are as important to our work as raw programming skills.
- Code. High quality, clean, and readable front-end/back-end code developed in concert with design and delivered on time.
- Quality. Engineers are accountable for the overall quality of our production deliverables – code, infrastructure, and documentation.
- Communication. Clear and concise written and oral communication, both internally and with our clients and tech partners.
- Collaboration. We’re not just the last stop in a production pipeline; our engineers contribute critical thinking at every phase of the project life cycle.
- Research & Solution Architecture. You’ll work alongside creative directors to lead the research and selection of technical solutions to fulfill business requirements.
- Leadership. Help strengthen our team by passing on your craftsmanship through close collaboration, knowledge shares, and mentorship.
- Professional experience in a similar role
- Fluency with one or more server-side languages
- Familiarity with popular frameworks and CMSs
- Modern client-side skills
- Intimate knowledge of web performance and security
- Working knowledge of common testing tools and methodologies
- Familiarity with accessibility standards and best practices
- Working familiarity with Scrum/Agile methodologies
- Communicative, thoughtful, optimistic, and collaborative
- A full-stack shop doing large and technically ambitious projects
- Champions of resourceful engineers and best practices
- Inspired by the bleeding edge, yet pragmatic and tool agnostic
- Open Source advocates and contributors
- Pavers of individual growth paths (for makers and managers!)
- Supporters of ambition and career development
- Competitive salaries
- Health, dental, and vision insurance
- A company-matched retirement plan
- Healthy (and non-healthy!) snacks
- A generous, flexible vacation policy
- Company-wide closure between Christmas & New Year’s Day
- A gorgeously-designed office in a historic building near North Station, opposite TD Garden
- Skill + personal development talks, workshops, and seminars
- A yearly professional development stipend
- Dedicated time for internal/experimental projects, knowledge shares, and other cultural activities like our Friday Talks
- Supplementary benefits like a Flexible Spending Account(FSA) and an Employee Assistance Program(EAP)
About the department
Check out our Engineers page to learn a bit more about the technology department, read some blog posts, and figure out what makes our engineers tick.
Interested in applying?
Send a resume, cover letter and links to your website/projects/GitHub to email@example.com with “Lead Engineer” in the subject line.
FWIW: Worries of “what if I’m not the perfect fit” can sometimes hold us back from applying to jobs. We want to let you in on a secret: there is no perfect candidate. Sure, we’re interested in resumes, but also the narrative beyond that resume—unique backgrounds, experiences, points of views, etc. As such—there is no set of boxes to tick in order to be a good candidate. If this is a job that excites you, we hope you’ll apply.